Why should i be baptized?
1. Jesus was baptized. He is our model, our example in all things. In Matthew 3:13-17, Jesus came to John the Baptist at the River Jordan to be baptized. John balked at doing such a thing, saying that Jesus should instead be baptizing him! "Jesus replied, 'Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.'" (v. 15) And immediately afterward, God expressed how pleased He was with Jesus's actions.
2. Jesus commanded it. After His resurrection and before His ascension to heaven, Jesus left these final directions to His followers: "All authority in heaven and earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." (Matthew 28:18-20)
3. Baptism was an integral part of every conversion experience recorded in the book of Acts. Each situation varied in some aspects, but all who were baptized expressed belief in Jesus and were baptized immediately. Baptism is a part of becoming a Christian. Baptism itself is not a means of salvation, but it is a declaration before God and man that we are choosing to follow the Lord.
You are ready to be baptized:
- When you believe that Jesus is the Son of God and have received Jesus Christ as your Savior.
- When you are ready to be "dead" to sin and your old way of living and accept new life in Christ.
- When you are ready to put your past behind you and live for Christ.
Who should baptize me?
Any Christian can have the privilege of baptizing another person professing faith in Christ! It would be an honor for the Christian who led you to faith in Christ, a Christian who is a great influence in your life, a Christian whom you greatly respect, or a pastor who is available to baptize you.
What steps should I take?
Notify the pastoral team if you would like to be baptized in water! We will make our baptismal "trough" available for anyone wishing to be baptized and have "Raised to Life" tees readily available for those who are baptized in water at The Well.
Make your public confession of faith! The time is now! Don't delay!